Monday 9 July 2012

20 Rep Squat Program - Ball Busters, Widow-Makers, Man Breakers

Today I re-programmed my Squat routine. Having spent the last 6 weeks using the Smolov routine, I decided to implement the 20 Rep Back Squat program.

The 20 rep program is one of the oldest lifting routines and it couaght my attention, so I decided to give it a 6 week regime. On the face of it, it looks simple, but as Mark Rippetoe says 'Trust me, if you do an honest 20 rep program, at some point Jesus will talk to you'

The program is straightforward  - Back Squat 20 reps 3 times a week for 6 weeks. You start off by taking 45 kilos off your 5RM Back Squat and then add 2.5 kilos per session....seems easy enough.

Todays 20 rep session

20 x 95kg

so, every training session I will add 2.5 kilos .

As the weight was quite comfortable, getting the right depth (Hip crease below parallel) and keeping good form was easy. However, by rep 12 i was feeling the first phase of lighheadedness, and started to think this program is going to be tough especially when I have to 20 rep 120/130kg....but that will be in a few weeks.

To finish off I did :
8 x 50m Sprints.

I need to improve my running...it sucks...I hate running...I sleep faster than I run...so, I have to train it...sprinting will help.




The weekend was spent in Manchester judging at the Crossfit Central Manchester Games...well, it was awesome, exceptional athletes competing in individual and team events...there was soem outstanding grit, grunt, gut...you name it...was inspiring

No comments:

Post a Comment